Sending a job rejection letter?
It’s not easy. There’s a small bead of sweat that trickles down your temple as you begin to write that personalised job rejection letter. You’re not happy about writing this rejection letter, but then you have no other choice.
Here are 5 ways you can make the rejection letter more meaningful for the person at the other side. Write something so simple yet so powerful that it leaves a lifelong impression.
Before you do that there are three things you need to keep in mind –
1. Below you will find formats of letters you can use but you shouldn’t use them as is. Modify them as per your style or speaking or thinking. Throw in the ‘I’ instead of the we.
2. Understand the person’s state of affairs before you send a rejection letter. If a person is hell bent on your company they will never take any other company, so our suggestion would be not to suggest alternatives. Instead, coach the person on his or her skills that you felt could improve.
3. Encourage. Encourage. Discourage. – Don’t lead candidates down a blind alley. Be clear about what they will get for they are. More candidates will thank you for the reality check.
Here are 5 job rejection letter samples that you can use to break the routine –
1. The return offer + watch a cool video job rejection letter
This is what inFeedo uses for any rejections they need to send out. The brackets are additions we’ve done to explain the letter –
Subject: Abhinav’s (personalisation) Application Status at inFeedo / Startup backed by Ex Google Country Head (building credibility)
2. “There are other jobs available and we’re not the end of the world” – Job rejection letter
3. The “We chose somebody else and we’re frank about it” – Job rejection letter
Thank you for taking the time to speak to us about the position, CEO.We regret to inform you that Google will not be pursuing your candidacy for this position. Though your qualifications are impressive, the selection process was highly competitive (son, you tried, but you didn’t finish first) and we have decided to move forward with a candidate whose qualifications better meet our needs at this time(you’re not worse, he or she’s just better at this time). We thank you for your interest in Google and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.Regards,
4. The “We’ve got another opening for you” – Job rejection letter.
5. The “Rejecting a candidate you really liked” – Job rejection letter
Again, thank you for taking the time to come to Johnson Company to meet our interview team. We enjoyed meeting you and our discussions indicated that you have much to offer your next employer. (personalise this a little bit).
We wish you both personal and professional success in your job search and in the future. We appreciate your interest in our organization.